Wednesday, September 30, 2015

There is Power in the Name of Jesus

I've heard the song "Break Every Chain" many times over the last couple of years.  In a sense it sank in and had meaning to me but over the last few months it has come to have much greater effect on me.  The youth choir at my church does a very lovely and touching praise dance to Tasha Cobbs performance of the song.  It is very moving emotionally and spiritually to see the passion these young people give to the performance.  The more I have meditated on the music the more I have realized the truth and depth to the words.  It has transformed me and my way of acting and reacting in moments of stress and conflict.

There is without a single doubt power in the Name of Jesus.  Just speaking His name with conviction and faith has a calming effect.  When I am absolutely dry in my prayer life and I really don't have words to offer up to my Creator I simply repeat again and again Jesus, Jesus, Jesus while meditating on the faces of the people I want to offer up petitions for.  Sometimes I just don't know what to pray for where others needs and issues are concerned.  I often find myself praying for what I think the person/situation needs but then I realize, who am I to decide what is best?  So when I am at a loss for words, there is one word with the greatest amount of power, Jesus.  His name heals, it soothes, it comforts, it saves, it destroys sins, it can move mountains and calm stormy seas.  The name of Jesus when used with a mere grain of faith can conquer death, bind wounds, dispel Satan, heal marriages, bring lost children home, it can and it will Break Every Chain.  Do you believe it does?

Honestly, I went through a really dark time spiritually in the recent past.  I did not feel like I was hearing from God.  In all truthfulness, I wasn't listening all that hard either.  I felt as though I was just moving through life but not truly living and certainly not living for the Lord.  I was not dedicating all of my actions, words and thoughts to Him, to use me to do His work.  And a seed of resentment grew up.  I saw other people in ministry around me and the joy and blessings they received as a result of the ministries they served in.  I was angry that I wasn't being blessed like they were.  After all, wasn't I doing as much if not more than most every one in my church, giving more of my time, service and skills?  Where was my blessing?  Where was my peace, joy and happiness?  Do you get the picture?  Can you just see the self pity oozing out of me?  And I had the nerve to ask God, "Where are You?  Don't you see me doing all this stuff for YOU?  Where's my happy-happy joy-joy?"  It really is funny isn't it?  How wrapped up we can become in the task while forgetting why we're doing it in the first place.

I've written a previous post about what ultimately happened.  The long and short of it is, I surrendered.  I let go of my will and asked God to show me His.  I gave Him my chains of Self-Pity, Self-Doubt, Resentment, Resistance, Stubbornness and Expectations.  You know what He did?  Yep, He broke them!  Just like that.  I surrendered, I called on the name of Jesus and He took over.  Now when I'm feeling broken, tired, frustrated in my daily life with my hectic schedule, I remember, there is power in the name of Jesus.  I don't have to know what to pray or how to pray it.  I don't have to have all the right words or proper greeting to my Lord.  I only have to speak His name.  I am tearing up right now just thinking about it.  Yes, it should come as no surprise to you by now, I'm a cryer!  But thinking of what that means, that there is so much power in just uttering His name, just the whisper of His name can move mountains.  Doesn't it just take your breath away?  Doesn't it just bring tears to your eyes to know, THAT POWER IS AVAILABLE TO YOU!  Yes YOU and me and everyone who would receive Jesus as their Lord and Savior.  Each and every one of us has that awesome and mighty power available to us to Break EVERY one of our Chains.  Wow, just, WOW!

What are your chains?  Some of the chains He as broken me free from are, of course sin, but the ways that base root of sin manifested it self, such as, drunkenness, self-pity, resentment, anger, fear, doubt, self destructive behavior, control, low self esteem.  The list goes on and on.  We all have chains that are holding us back from our blessings.  The ways that sin has conned us to keep us away from a Savior who is dying to set us free.  Oh how He longs to set you free!  He can...

Break the chains of Alcoholism that's driving your family away
Break the chains of Drug Addiction that's robbing your life
Break the chains of Adultery that's killing your marriage
Break the chains of Regret and Remorse that are keeping you chained in the past
Break the chains of Worry that keeps you rooted in fear instead of freedom
Break the chains of Fear and Anxiety that keep you glued in place
Break the chains of Depression that lies to you and tells you that you are not worthy
Break the chains of Anger that keeps you distant from the ones you love
Break the chains of Shame from past mistakes that keeps you from living free
Break the chains of the World that keeps dangling pretty things in front of you so you don't see the                                            Creator of all who gives living water to nourish you
Break the chains of Satan who would love to keep you bound in sin and destruction.

Jesus can break you free from this and so much more and if you don't know how to ask Him, just remember, there is power in His name.  Just call out to Him, just call Jesus, Jesus, Jesus.  Believe me, He will know what is in your heart and He will respond.  He loves you so much and He wants to be your everything, take every worry and fear away.  He wants to comfort you and console you.  He wants to embrace you and bring you joy and peace.  He wants you to know that no matter how rotten you've been, there is nothing He can't forgive, NOTHING!  Run into His arms and call out His name. Receive His redeeming love.

The power that comes with Jesus, from knowing Him and being counted as one of His own is difficult to fathom, but it's yours whenever you need it.  Paul wrote in Ephesians 1, "7 He is so rich in kindness and grace that he purchased our freedom with the blood of his Son and forgave our sins. 8 He has showered his kindness on us, along with all wisdom and understanding."NLT.   And in Romans 8:39, "No power in the sky above or in the earth below—indeed, nothing in all creation will ever be able to separate us from the love of God that is revealed in Christ Jesus our Lord."NLT.  You see, He loved us so much He sent Jesus to free us of the bondage of sin and nothing can separate us from God again once we accept Jesus' saving grace.  Oh what a wonderful God we serve!

Jude 1:25 tells us Jesus has always had and will always have all the power, "All glory to him who alone is God, our Savior through Jesus Christ our Lord. All glory, majesty, power, and authority are his before all time, and in the present, and beyond all time! Amen."NLT.  And the way we access that power is, come on, I know you know the answer...Call on His name!  Yep, it's that simple.  With a tiny bit of faith and the name of Jesus, there is nothing you can't overcome, no chain you can't break free from, no sin that can't be forgiven.  You are His and you are wonderfully and fearfully made.  Don't ever forget Whose you are!  Break free today.  The only thing it will cost you is all that heavy baggage you've been carrying around for years.  Put it down, lighten your load, grow wings and fly!

No comments: