Friday, December 2, 2011

I CAN'T WEAR RED LIPSTICK

Yes you can! I’ve heard this statement from women many times over the years, “I just can’t wear red lipstick”. I’m here to tell you that there is a red lipstick for every woman that will flatter her skin tone and look fabulous on her. I was recently introduced to a new lipstick brand that delivers a variety of red shades to suit any woman’s taste. Jay Harper, founder and CEO of Red Apple Lipstick, approached me about testing the brand and giving my honest opinion and review of the two shades I selected, which were Strawberry Lips and Plum Sexy Crazy. I consider myself a bit of a lipstick aficionado and expect a lot from the lipsticks I wear and give my seal of approval to. These lipsticks really deliver in quality, color and formulation. I was duly impressed and they have quickly become my favorites.

First let me tell you about the formulation. They glide on like butter delivering an instant feeling of conditioning and hydration thanks to their vitamin and mineral enriched formula that is paraben, gluten and allergen free. Second, the color payoff is fantastic. I generally wear a lip liner under my lipstick to help improve the duration of wear and intensity of color. This step is not necessary with Red Apple Lipstick. The color applies true and opaque and adheres well for long wear. Of course, as with most lipsticks the wear is greatly affected by factors such as drinking hot liquids or eating foods that have high oil content. I can easily sip on a diet cola (which I generally do all day long LOL) and only lose a tiny bit of my lipstick. The colors are rich, saturated and opaque. Now, let’s talk packaging. I’m a sucker for cute and stylish presentation of product. Red Apple Lipstick offers a simplistic and sleek package in silver with the lid having a brushed metal finish and the applicator having a high mirror shine finish. The packaging is very retro in feel and design which equates to a small compact size container with a very full size product inside. All the way around Red Apple Lipstick is winner for me. I don’t say this lightly or without having considered every aspect of formulation, design, color and wear. I am brutally honest in my review of products and would highly recommend this one.

There are a couple of other things to consider when considering Red Apple Lipstick. First is the 100% Satisfaction Guarantee and the second is the opportunity to try the product free and free of risk. If for any reason you don’t love the product you can always return it for a full refund. They also have a lipstick exchange program that, to my knowledge is quite original and very innovative. You simply mail a tube of any lipstick you own to them along with your address and the color you’d like to try from their line and they will send it to you free of charge. What more can you ask for? You get to dispose of an old or unused product in your collection and get a fantastic new product for free! It doesn’t get much better than that.

Back to the original age old complaint, “I just can’t wear red lipstick”. I’m telling you “Yes you can”! Here are my tips on finding the perfect shade of red to suit your taste and skin tone. The first place to start is by simply surveying your current collection of makeup. Do you lean toward cooler tones or warmer tones, neutrals or vibrant colors, pinks and browns or blues and greens? This will give you a good indication of the type of red you should choose. If you prefer the cooler tones and generally wear pinks, grays and taupes then the color I would recommend is Mauve Me Lipstick. It’s a beautiful deep mauve that is subtle and understated while maintaining its individuality and ability to stand alone. If you tend to reach for neutrals, browns or coppers/golds, then I would recommend Plum Sexy Crazy. I know what you’re thinking, “Plum???” Think red plum with golden flecks. This is a deep rich color that will compliment your neutrals well but give you a little added depth and dimension to your look. Now, if you are a girl that loves a bold red lip and likes to do retro inspired looks with winged black eyeliner then Red! is the color for you. It is a true blue toned red with intense color payoff and delivery. If you lean towards purples in your eye makeup then I would give Strawberry Lips a try. This is a color that would actually work quite well with most skin tones and color combinations. As far as red lipsticks go, this one is quite neutral. But if you are a huge fan of the nude lipstick movement, then you must try Flirt With Me. I think it is very comparable to some other high end starlet inspired lipsticks on the market today.

The most important thing you can have when trying out red lipstick is an open mind. Red Apple Lipstick makes this so easy with their simple, no hassle return policy as well as their Lipstick Exchange Program. As I would tell the women around me, “Put your big girl panties on and give it a try!” I promise with very minimal effort you can find the perfect shade of red for you!!
Jeannine
www.stillplayswithcolors.com

Check out Red Apple Lipstick at www.redapplelipstick.com

3 comments:

Gluten Free Mojo said...

Jeannine is brilliant and talented!

Unknown said...

Thanks Jay!

Samantha Henri said...

I love Plum Sexy Crazy! It's my absolute favorite red lipstick color to wear. Red Apple lipsticks really do deliver what they promise!